Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Would the real Jesus Christ please stand up?

~ Tell us the title: Imaginary Jesus
~ Who penned this work?: Matt Mikalatos
~ How did this piece find it's way to your nightstand?: My ever-deepening quest for religion...or maybe the librarian conference.
~ Number of pages: 225
~ Time passed from start to finish?: 4 Days
~ Describe the cover: A photo of a man wearing green-framed, star-shaped lensed sun glasses and a hawaiin shirt. He's also got a beard added with marker (think second grade) and a halo drawn with a yellow highlighter.
~ In what section of the bookstore would a reader find this?: God, Comedy
~ Summary of the basic plot: Matt, the author sets out to find the real Jesus after discovering that the Jesus he was following was simply his depiction of what he wanted from Jesus.
~ Background information on the story/author: Matt Mikalatos is from somewhere around Portland and goes to Church at Village (not the Korean Presbyterian) church that's in Beaverton.
~ What did you think of it? (your general response, what you liked or didn't like, what you learned, anything else you want to share about it): I wasn't bored, which is more than I expected. Mikalatos actually presents a number of valid points while inserting humor along the way.
~ Which page was your favorite? Share why: Pg. 64, there are no fewer than 5 Jesuses involved in this one scene.
~ If the story was made into a movie, who would you cast as the main characters? I could see this being an Adam Sandler-ish movie. Something similar to a Bedtime Stories.
~ Share a quote that was worth reading twice. Explain why: American Eagle came over and announced, "You're going to need stitches. Don't wash the blood off. The emergency room serves you faster if you're covered in blood." I like humor...and truth...so
~ Choose your rating:
- Changed. My. Life.
- I laughed, I cried, I want you to read it
- A definite page-turner
- Good to check out but don't spend the cash.
- Why did I waste my weekend on this?
- A disgrace to paper everywhere
~ Flip to page 2, 22, or 202. Share the 7th sentence on the page. I seem to find books that do not fit this criteria...so this is from pg 222. "Krista called me and I turned the grill over to my dad."

2 comments:

  1. Hey Pulp, thanks for the review. I appreciate you taking the time to fill this out.

    Here's a link to the book trailer for anyone who would like a feel for what the book is like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FBO0qrxHIw

    Thanks!

    Matt

    p.s. The church in Portland that I go to is actually not the Korean Presbyterian church... it's called Village (vbconline.org) and it's about a third Korean...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops...sorry about that. I was very intrigued and laughed a lot. I especially enjoyed Jesus' response to the Book of Morman inquiry.

    ReplyDelete