Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Secret History of The World

~ Tell us the title:
Aftershock & others -- 19 oddities
~ Who penned this work?:
F. Paul Wilson
~ How did this piece find it's way to your nightstand?:
It was a Christmas gift from my mom. Wilson is one of our shared favorite authors.
~ Number of pages:
352
~ Time passed from start to finish?:
I would say 36 hours. I didn't have much to do after Christmas
~ Describe the cover:
Images of the city, lots of black, purple, and golden tones. Nice and shiny!
~ In what section of the bookstore would a reader find this?:
Fiction, maybe sci-fi?
~ Summary of the basic plot:
That's hard to say. It's a collection of short stories, all with wildly different plot lines. The author provides info on how the stories came about, and what was happening with his career at the time. I really like when authors do that.
~ Background information on the story/author:
F. Paul Wilson is a doctor...turned writer. He doesn't make his education very well known, and there is nothing about it listed on the back flap. I find this fascinating. I had no idea until I read this particular book, and I've been reading his stories for years.
~ What did you think of it? (your general response, what you liked or didn't like, what you learned, anything else you want to share about it):
I loved it. I always love his work. It was very interesting to see a different side to his writing, since most of the books I've read by him all contain the same characters and continued plot line. I learned that he writes a lot like my favorite author, Neil Gaiman.
~ Which page was your favorite? Share why:
It seems more appropriate here to pick a favorite story, and that would be called Foet. It's a very thought-provoking twist on the fur and animal product industry and people's attitudes toward the living creatures they are wearing. Truly, you won't see this one coming.

~ Choose your rating:
- Changed. My. Life.
- I laughed, I cried, I want you to read it
- A definite page-turner
- Good to check out but don't spend the cash.
- Why did I waste my weekend on this?
- A disgrace to paper everywhere
~ Flip to page 2, 22, or 202. Share the 7th sentence on the page.
"You engineered me for human cells, yes, but not for just any human cells."

No comments:

Post a Comment