Friday, April 9, 2010

Truth is more fascinating than fiction

~ Tell us the title: Louder Than Words: A new teen memoir series (sampler)
~ Who penned this work?: Several girls. This sampler contains excerpts from the stories by Chelsey Shannon, Marni Bates, and Emily Smucker
~ How did this piece find it's way to your nightstand?: Picked up from the library convention
~ Number of pages: 44
~ Time passed from start to finish?: About an hour
~ Describe the cover: Photos of the books by these three authors. Each book has a picture of the author on the front.
~ In what section of the bookstore would a reader find this?: Memoir/Biography or Teen
~ Summary of the basic plot: These are excerpts from three teen girls' stories of their unique lives. Chelsey's father was murdered. Marni has a disease where she compulsively pulls out her own hair. Emily learns she has West Nile.
~ Background information on the story/author: See above.
~ What did you think of it? (your general response, what you liked or didn't like, what you learned, anything else you want to share about it): These excerpts were incredibly well-written and conveyed emotional accuracy. I am very eager to read the full stories. These are three from a series that contains at least 4 other books I believe.
~ Which page was your favorite? Share why: That's difficult to say without getting to read the entirety of each story. Perhaps the first page of the sampler, because it caught my attention enough to take it.
~ Share a quote that was worth reading twice. Explain why: (from Marni's story): "Eyelashes have a completely different feel to them." She is talking about her disease (where she compulsively pulls out her own hair, eyelashes, eyebrows..) in great detail. I found such a fascination in this honest discussion. When I was in highschool, I knew a girl who had this disease. It was never talked about, however, which I always found frustrating because I wanted to understand it, to know what it felt like to her, and why she did it.
~ Choose your rating:
- Changed. My. Life.
- I laughed, I cried, I want you to read it
- A definite page-turner (and I want you to read it)
- Good to check out but don't spend the cash.
- Why did I waste my weekend on this?
- A disgrace to paper everywhere
~ Flip to page 2, 22, or 202. Share the 7th sentence on the page. "It was sort of like deforestation."

No comments:

Post a Comment